In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua & Ryan discuss focus, pacifiers, success, priorities, goals, and much more, and they answer the following questions:
- How do we better educate ourselves about negative media?
- How can minimalism help us develop and maintain clarity of mind?
- Can pacifiers be useful?
- How do we maintain a minimalist lifestyle?
- How do we stay grounded with so much going on?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Ryan on social media: “I check social media once a day.”
- Joshua on social media: “Does this message serve the greater good? If not, delete before sending.”
- Ryan on multitasking: “There’s no such thing as multitasking.”
- Joshua on multitasking: “There’s only single-tasking. Or single-tasking plus noise.”
- Ryan on goals: “I don’t have goals. If I don’t need a goal, then I don’t have it.”
- Joshua on goals: “Instead of goals, I prefer to have a direction in which I travel: if you’re searching for a sunrise, head east; for a sunset, west.”
- Ryan on focus: “If you don’t meditate—meditate. Five minutes a day—try it out.”
- Joshua on focus: “First identify your ideal life, then shed that which does not serve your vision.”
- Ryan on nutrition: “If I eat crap, I feel like crap.”
- Joshua on nutrition: “Eat real foods. No sugar. Nothing processed. Reduce carbs. Treat food as nourishment, not entertainment.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: Essential
- Book: Essentialism
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Class: How to Write Better
- Collaborate: Mentors
- Collaborate: Speakers
- Community: Bandit Coffee
- Course: A Simple Year
- Essay: 90/90 Minimalism Rule
- Essay: Getting Rid of Just-In-Case Items
- Essay: Not Busy, Focused
- Essay: Photo-Scanning Party
- Essay: Please Masturbate in Your Own Room
- Essay: Waking Up
- Meetup: Minimalist.org
- Podcast: Away
- Podcast: Optimal Living Daily
- Podcast: The RobCast
- Publishing: Asymmetrical Press
- Recommendation: Calm
- Recommendation: Rich Roll Podcast
- Soundtrack: Minimalism Documentary
- Therapy: Nourish Balance Thrive
- Therapy: Saunas
- Watch: A Rich Life with Less Stuff
- Watch: Minimalism Documentary
- Watch: The Art of Letting Go
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcasts are completely free, so if you found value in this episode, and you’d like to help us produce more, please consider donating a dollar to The Minimalists. Your donations help keep this podcast 100% advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but your positive, creative reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
If you have a question for The Minimalists you’d like us to answer on our podcast, please leave a message on our voicemail at 406-219-7839. We’ll also answer some questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter on our podcast: #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.