In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua & Ryan talk about creativity, craft, passion, and different types of creative work, and they answer the following questions:
- Do you consider the value of your content for your audience while you’re creating it?
- How can I improve my craft?
- What is the best method for editing my work?
- How do I create a blog?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Ryan on creativity and originality: “If you create something unique, by default it is original.”
- Joshua on creativity and originality: “Worthwhile creations reside at the intersection of connection and originality.”
- Ryan on half-completed projects: “Concentrating on one thing at a time is the best way to accomplish any task. Multitasking doesn’t exist.”
- Joshua on half-completed projects: “Constraint breeds creativity.”
- Ryan on creativity: “It’s not about how others define creativity—the one putting in the work gets to decide.”
- Joshua on creativity: “Creativity sits in the absence of consumption.”
- Ryan on creating consumables while minimizing consumables: “Living with less makes room for the things—even physical things—that add the most value to our lives.”
- Joshua on creating consumables while minimizing consumables: “Don’t just live with less stuff—live without excess.”
- Ryan on motivation to create: “If I stop creating, I stop living.”
- Joshua on motivation to create: “Avoid content in favor of meaningful creations. Content is nebulous; important creations align with values.”
- Ryan on flow state: “There is no magical formula: put in the work and you will find a flow state.”
- Joshua on flow state: “Drudge through the drudgery.”
- Joshua on minimal farming: “When confronted with an unknown, it’s okay to say, ‘I don’t know.’”
Mentioned in This Episode
- App: Evernote
- App: Draft: Hemingway Mode
- App: The Most Dangerous Writing App
- App: Scrivener
- Blog: Minimal Wellness
- Blog: Seth Godin
- Book: Anything You Want
- Book: Essential
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Class: How to Write Better
- Contribute: Charity Water
- Contribute: Give Well
- Contribute: International Rescue Committee
- Essay: 1,000 True Fans
- Essay: How to Start a Successful Blog Today
- Essay: Our 21-Day Journey into Minimalism
- Essay: Packing Party
- Podcast: The Journal
- Song: “Black Beatles” Rae Sremmurd
- Tour: Joshua’s Home
- Tour: Ryan’s Home
- Watch: A Rich Life with Less Stuff
- Watch: Minimalism Documentary
- Watch: The Art of Letting Go
- Watch: World of Tomorrow
- Workshop: How to Write Better
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcasts are completely free, so if you found value in this episode, and you’d like to help us produce more, please consider donating a dollar to The Minimalists. Your donations help keep this podcast 100% advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but your positive, creative reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
If you have a question for The Minimalists you’d like us to answer on our podcast, please leave a message on our voicemail at 406-219-7839. We’ll also answer some questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter on our podcast: #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.