In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua answers questions about parenting as a minimalist, including:
- How do you minimize the accoutrements that seem requisite when you have young children?
- How do you initiate a minimalist lifestyle with family members, and how do you maintain and measure the results of such a lifestyle?
- How do you help children adopt and maintain minimalist practices on their own?
- What are the best gifts for children?
- How do I let go of sentimental items?
- Should I hold onto my children’s items for future children I may or may not have?
- When co-parenting, how do I explain to the children how to reconcile the different values and beliefs of each household?
Joshua’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Joshua on minimizing children’s possessions: “Before we let go, we should first understand the benefits.”
- Joshua on minimalist travel with children: “When traveling, limit yourself to what fits in only one bag. Sometimes limitations are freeing—they force you to select only the essentials.”
- Joshua on explaining to your children about the preciousness of time: “Rob Bell says, ‘You are always teaching your kids. And sometimes you use words.’”
- Joshua on explaining to children the relationship of possessions to social status: “You don’t have to try to be better than anyone to be a better human being.”
- Joshua on nighttime sleep routines for children: “Have as few things in the routine as possible. Keep it simple: hygiene and reading are plenty.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Book: Anything You Want
- Book: Essential
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Essay: 20 Dollars, 20 Minutes
- Essay: 90/90 Minimalism Rule
- Essay: Letting Go of Sentimental Items
- Essay: Let’s Play a Minimalism Game
- Essay: Packing Party
- Essay: Photo-Scanning Party
- Essay: The Minimalists Open a Coffeehouse
- Listen: Launching Rockets
- Podcast: Children
- Podcast: Giftgiving
- Podcast: Mom and Dad Are Fighting
- Podcast: Rob Bell
- Watch: A Rich Life with Less Stuff
- Watch: Minimalism Documentary
- Website: Minimal Wellness
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcasts are completely free, so if you found value in this episode, and you’d like to help us produce more, please consider donating a dollar to The Minimalists. Your donations help keep this podcast 100% advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but your positive, creative reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
If you have a question for The Minimalists you’d like us to answer on our podcast, please leave a message on our voicemail at 406-219-7839. We’ll also answer some questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter on our podcast: #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.