In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua & Ryan discuss jobs, careers, missions, passions, side hustles, and earning income, and they answer the following questions:
- How can I keep the job I love, yet still alleviate the financial stress of being underemployed?
- Do I need to keep my diplomas?
- How can I tell if an employment opportunity is actually a pyramid scheme instead?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Joshua on suitable jobs for minimalists: “A vocation that matches your short-term actions with your values is ideal.”
- Ryan on suitable jobs for minimalists: “It doesn’t matter what you do for a living. What matters most is living a life that aligns with your values and beliefs.”
- Joshua on working long hours but still maintaining one’s values: “What are your priorities? There are 168 hours in a week—plan accordingly.”
- Ryan on working long hours but still maintaining one’s values: “Our priorities are what we do, not what we say they are.”
- Joshua on leaving a job you love to move out of state: “Consider your values when making life-changing decisions.”
- Ryan on leaving a job you love to move out of state: “Home is where you find the most support.”
- Joshua on the best way to negotiate a salary: “You will never have to settle if you add considerably more value than you’re worth.”
- Ryan on the best way to negotiate a salary: “If you don’t ask, you’ll never know.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Tour: Less Is Now
- Bag: Malcolm Fontier
- Blog: Evernote
- Book: Essential
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Class: How to Write Better
- Essay: How to Start a Successful Blog in 2017
- Essay: Most Emergencies Aren’t
- Essay: Packing Party
- Essay: Photo-Scanning Party
- Podcast: Finances
- Podcast: Gary Vaynerchuk
- Podcast: Joe Rogan
- Podcast: Tim Ferriss
- Podcast: Tom Woods
- Recommendation: Immunocal Platinum
- Recommendation: Missing Richard Simmons
- Support: The Minimalists
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcasts are completely free, so if you found value in this episode, and you’d like to help us produce more, please consider donating a dollar to The Minimalists. Your donations help keep this podcast 100% advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but your positive, creative reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
If you have a question for The Minimalists you’d like us to answer on our podcast, please leave a message on our voicemail at 406-219-7839. We’ll also answer some questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter on our podcast: #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.