In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua & Ryan discuss their values, principles, and beliefs, and they answer the following questions:
- What does the phrase “add value” mean?
- When you quit a job you’ve held for a long time, how do you find your new identity separate from the identity you created through your job?
- When you experience major life events, do you find your values change, and, if so, what do you do about it?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Joshua on passing minimalist ideals onto children living in a materialistic society: “To demonstrate our values, we must do more than tell—we must show.”
- Ryan on passing minimalist ideals onto children living in a materialistic society: “Leading by example is the best way to transfer our values and beliefs to others.”
- Joshua on how minimalism changed his values: “Minimalism didn’t change my values—it helped me discover what my values are.”
- Ryan on how minimalism changed his values: “Minimalism helped me stop giving my values lip service and start taking action.”
- Joshua on values that don’t give us joy: “If you are living by your values, but aren’t happy, consider changing what you value.”
- Ryan on values that don’t give us joy: “If something you value is making you unhappy, you may not value that thing as much as you thought.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Tour: Less Is Now
- Book: Essential
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Course: How to Write Better
- Essay: All We Have to Do Is Be the Person We Say We Are
- Essay: “Follow Your Passion” Is Crappy Advice
- Essay: Start Here
- Essay: Tour The Minimalists’ Montana Cabin
- Essay: What Do You Do?
- Explore: Bandit Coffee Co.
- Explore: Hedonic Adaptation
- Explore: Values
- Fun: April Fools’ Day 2016
- Fun: April Fools’ Day 2017
- Instagram: Joshua
- Instagram: The Minimalists
- Podcast: Bill Maher
- Podcast: Friends
- Podcast: Glenn Beck
- Podcast: Joe Rogan
- Podcast: Rich Roll
- Podcast: Savage Lovecast
- Podcast: The Minimalists
- Podcast: The Importance of Boredom
- Recommendation: Deep in the Heart of Texas
- Recommendation: The Age of Spin
- Recommendation: The Silk Road Spice Blends
- Support: The Minimalists
- Watch: Making Minimalism
- Watch: Minimalism Documentary
- Watch: Mondays with The Minimalists
- Watch: How to Make Nothing
- Watch: Simples “Money”
- Watch: Simples “Someday”
- Website: Minimalism Life
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcast is completely free, so if you find value in these episodes, please consider donating a dollar. Your donations help keep this podcast advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but positive reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
Questions? Leave a voicemail at 406-219-7839, or send a voice memo to [email protected]. We’ll also answer lightning-round questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter if you use #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.