In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua & Ryan discuss the best ways to handle clutter, and they answer the following questions:
- I’ve minimized my possessions to only those things that add value to my life and that bring me joy, but my space still feels cluttered—what do I do next?
- What should I do with all the books and papers I accumulated as I was earning my college degree?
- How do I deal with the clutter of my partner?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, sharable, less-than-140-character answers to the lightning-round questions:
- Joshua on defining clutter: “Clutter is like pornography and sandwiches: you know it when you see it.”
- Ryan on defining clutter: “If you feel like your life is cluttered, that’s a clear sign to take action.”
- Joshua on determining when consumables have become unhealthy clutter: “If it doesn’t fit, you must quit.”
- Ryan on determining when consumables have become unhealthy clutter: “Hoarding is hoarding no matter what thing you’re hoarding.”
- Joshua on still feeling cluttered after decluttering: “Loosen your grip—massive clutter requires massive amounts of #letgo.”
- Ryan on still feeling cluttered after decluttering: “What could you #letgo of to feel less cluttered?”
- Joshua on counting collections as clutter: “Often collecting is well-planned hoarding.”
- Ryan on counting collections as clutter: “One man’s collection is another man’s nightmare.”
- Joshua on dealing with incoming clutter: “The less we let in, the less we have to let go.”
- Ryan on dealing with incoming clutter: “If clutter is still coming in, you’re not taking the right steps.”
Mentioned in This Episode
- Tour: Less Is Now
- App: Nothing
- Architecture: Frank Mascia
- Article: Nobody Wants Your Parents’ Stuff
- Article: Wearing the Same Thing for a Year
- Book: Essential
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Clothing: Toms
- Coffee: Blue Bottle Coffee
- Coffee: Dogwood Coffee Co.
- Coffee: Heart Coffee Roasters
- Contribute: Give Well
- Essay: 20 Dollars, 20 Minutes
- Essay: Day 14 | Digitize
- Essay: Day 15 | Finances
- Essay: Letting Go of Sentimental Items
- Essay: Photo-Scanning Party
- Essay: Understanding Others
- Explore: Project 333
- Explore: The Silk Road Spice Blends
- Explore: Values
- Instagram: The Minimalists
- Minimize: 1 Dollar Scan
- Nostalgia: Ditto Machine
- Podcast: Giftgiving
- Podcast: Values
- Recommendation: Bombas Socks
- Recommendation: The Mini-malists
- Recommendation: Vivino App
- Support: The Minimalists
- Watch: Making Minimalism
- Watch: Minimalism Documentary
- Watch: Mondays with The Minimalists
- Watch: Simples “Love”
- Watch: Simples “Money”
- Watch: Simples “Someday”
- Watch: The Minimalists
- Website: Colin Wright
This episode was produced by Shawn Harding. Our theme music was written and performed by Peter Doran. Our podcast is completely free, so if you find value in these episodes, please consider donating a dollar. Your donations help keep this podcast advertisement-free (because advertisements suck).
If you’d like to comment on the podcast, you can leave a review on iTunes. Not only do we read every review, but positive reviews also help our simple-living message reach more ears.
Questions? Leave a voicemail at 406-219-7839, or send a voice memo to [email protected]. We’ll also answer lightning-round questions from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter if you use #AskTheMinimalists.
Subscribe to The Minimalists via email.